The elderly are more prone to falls, and a nursing home may bear some responsibility for the injuries caused. When a nursing home fails to take the proper steps to protect a resident, a St. Petersburg nursing home abuse attorney can explain to you how you can recover damages.
Why Falls Are So Serious
Injuries related to falls are a very serious threat to the elderly. A St. Petersburg nursing home abuse lawyer has dealt with many routine falls that end tragically for elderly victims. The reason being that residents may have especially brittle bones or other health conditions that can turn an ordinary fall into a deadly accident.
Injuries Related to Nursing Home Falls
A St. Petersburg nursing home abuse attorney can explain to you that not all injuries related to a nursing home fall are obvious. Here is a look at some types of injuries:
- Broken Bones. One of the most frequent types of injuries that St. Petersburg nursing home abuse lawyers will deal with is broken bones. Even an “ordinary” fall can have devastating effects on some residents.
- Psychological Trauma. A resident who suffered a fall may have psychological disorders such as depression and unreasonable fears.
- Internal Injuries. This can include such things as internal bleeding, punctured organs, intestinal damage, and other injuries that a St. Petersburg nursing home abuse attorney can explain further.
Why a Nursing Home May Be Responsible
Nursing homes have a duty to maintain a certain level of supervision and care over patients. They often fail to meet these standards, however, and a St. Petersburg nursing home abuse attorney may help you bring a negligence lawsuit.
Some common ways that a nursing home may contribute to falls include:
- Not cleaning wet floors
- Failing to put proper lighting in hallways and stairwells
- Neglecting to put in handrails on beds and showers
- Generally not maintaining facilities
A St. Petersburg nursing home abuse attorney can more fully discuss with you the possible causes of action you may bring.
Contact a St. Petersburg Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
If you have a question regarding nursing home injuries, contact experienced St. Petersburg nursing home abuse attorney Peter Giroux at (727) 895-5399.